8/26/15

Oxidation Fired vs Reduction Fired

These are oxidation kiln fired, as yet I have not been able to reproduce the dark tones created in the reduction atmosphere of the gas kiln I had access to long ago.

This first image is of a Raku fish with copper oxide on both the tail and the fins, but the inside of the tail has clear glaze added to it which resulted in the beautiful blue-green color. I was pleasantly surprised since I know so little about ceramics and was not expecting to see the radical color change.





In order to achieve the color and texture of the reduction atmosphere, I apply the same oxide stains in the same quantity as I did before. I expect the results to be similar even though this is an oxidation firing. I paint 5 test fish using Cobalt carbonate, Nickle, Copper, Manganese, Rutile, and Red Iron either on their own or mixed in equal quantities.




The result is disappointing. Not only am I lacking the dark and earthy tones, the texture is smooth and soft which is the opposite of what I was aiming for.
My next set of test fish will have to have the textures painted on with a tiny brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment